Sunday, June 1, 2014

Character....

When I was young and a new mom, my initial thought of my parenting responsibilities were that of making sure that my babies were fed, dressed and went to school when it was time.  I have learned through many years of parenting, parenting teens and adoptive children, that my job is so much more.  At times, it involves guiding my children through some of life's most difficult moments and helping to shape their character.

Recent events have made me think hard about my character as well as my children's character.  One thing I have discovered about myself is that I am secure about who I am and who the Lord has molded and shaped me to be.  I hold firm to my beliefs in the Lord and rely on his guidance to direct my path.

Each one of my children are so different in their personalities and their character develops as they grow into the person GOD wants them to be.

Christopher is an adult - at 20 he is navigating college life and figuring out what his life path will be.  I stand back and look as he makes decisions that affect his future and although he has had some missteps, I am one proud mom and feel confident that he is heading in the right direction.  Over dinner recently, we had a discussion of how he would discipline his children (when that time comes) and it remarkably  aligns with how he was raised - Oh to his dismay....  As a 12 year old I can remember him saying he would do things so differently when he was a grown up.

Lizzy is beginning her senior year and as we all know girls can be mean and unchristian like and she is dealing with some of those challenges with her friend group.   She is also navigating those same friends heading down a dangerous path that she knows she does not want to be part of.  I continue to encourage her to be true to herself and to follow what she knows is the right thing.  I see her making difficult choices - but always choosing the right path.  I want her to know that GOD gives us life to live it abundantly and that no one person or group of people should be able to steal her JOY.  That challenges and struggles mold us and shape us into who GOD wants us to be.  I trust that through the next year she will be redefined, molded and shaped into the young lady that GOD wants her to be as he prepares her to go to college.

In previous posts I have referred to Maddie as tenacious and determined.  I pray that those qualities continue to shape her character.  As I listen to her through day to day conversations and interactions I hear a little bit of "her story" coming out as she claims it as her own.  Recently she was talking with her cousin, who is the same age, and Maddie told her that she lived in China when she was a baby and that I had to take 3 airplanes to go and get her".  That's the first time I've heard her put what she understands of her story into words.  I know that as she grows she will continue to communicate her story and as her understanding grows she will have more questions about it.  I continue to pray that GOD helps me know the right answers to her questions and when I don't have the answer, he will give me the tenderness and compassion to help her deal with the void.

Mia sweet Mia.  Mia has such a sweet and loving character to her.  I am anxious to see who she will become but want to treasure each moment of her being little that I can.  One thing everyone knows about Mia is that she loves her Momma!!!!  and her Momma loves her.  I think all moms treasure the youngest child - as they know it is their last, the last time you get to rock someone to sleep, the last sweet baby kisses, the last "first steps", etc.   She is growing up too fast!


No comments:

Post a Comment