Sunday, July 18, 2010

SUCCESS!!


I made one more attempt to file for Maddie's social security card at our local Social Security Administration office. My social worker had called and spoke to someone at the local office to clarify what items I would need to bring with me in order to successfully file. To my surprise they were the same documents that I had brought with me to my first visit. Armed with the same documents I tried once again.
Upon arrival the office was completely FULL. We took a ticket and waited until our number was called. I crossed my fingers I would not get called by the same clerk as last time. Thankfully we did not and was eventually called by some nice young girl. I presented the same documents and gave the same explanation of what they were. Within 5 minutes she had completed entering some information into the computer and out came a confirmation that Maddie will be issued a Social Security Number. The number should be issued this coming Tuesday and we will receive the card within 2 weeks. SUCCESS!!
I am not sure what changed from the first visit to the next but I accomplished what I set out to accomplish! Maddie will now be able to reap the benefits of our robust social security and medicare system one day - LOL!
Glad this task is complete and can be marked off. We have one last hurdle and that is to file a petition with the court to have Maddie's adoption recognized in the State of Louisiana and finally a Louisiana Birth Certificate issued.

2 comments:

  1. Well I'll be the first to "Congradulate you guys on a beautiful child. You could not have hand picked a better kid to fit in with your bunch!! After reading your timeline, you guys need a well deserved vacation.... May your little Maddie bring you lots of joy and expenses!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa...Just wanted to thank you for the all the posts of support and encouragement on my blog. They have meant alot to me and I have valued your knowledge helping me through the process. Guess you'll have to explain the SS thing with me next!

    I can't wait for Maddie and Eva to meet. I hope that they will become fast friends!!

    ReplyDelete