Friday, April 30, 2010

3 months with Madelyn







It has only been 3 months since Madelyn came into our lives! Although it seems like we were just in China, at the same time it feels like Maddie has been with us forever. I can't even remember a time without her. Life since arriving home has been a little crazy for us - not only with adjusting to one more child in our home but the many challenges that we have faced as a family; from the death of Keith's dad to my mother's illness and recovery.

There are little things that I am thankful for since Maddie came into this family that I wanted to mention:
- For all of the little kisses that I get. She is quick to offer a smooch when she is eating, pottying, picking up her toys, putting on her shoes and even when she is getting into trouble.
- For the way Maddie calls for me - "MAW". Some days she will say it over and over and over again.
- For her cute pony tail that she wants me to put her hair into each day and the cute bows she likes to wear.
- The excitement on her face when she sees her school and when I see her after school.
- Asking for a table of 5 when we go out to eat (instead of 4)
- The kindness and joy that I see in Christopher and Elizabeth when they are interacting with Maddie.
- The joy that she brings to my entire family. It is quite amazing how 1 little girl from China could unite a family and make us closer than ever before.

There is so much more - more than I can mention. She is definitely the light of all of our lives.


Maddie continues to "love" going to school and is improving her language skills everyday. She has had a couple of issues at school where the teacher has called to talk with me. The first incident Maddie bit another child. The children in her class were lining up and there was alot of pushing and shoving and in that Maddie bit. The second incident, Maddie pinched a little girl as they were both trying to slide down the slide at the same time. In talking with the Director of the Pre-K department she felt that these incidents were linked more to her frustration with her lack of ability to communicate with the other children than with meanness. Maddie understands very well but is not able to verbalize as well as her peers but she is improving. All and all her teachers say that she is doing very well and is extremely bright. I imagine that by the beginning of next school year she will be on target with her language skills.

We have a return appointment to see the Speech Therapist at Texas Children's Hospital in September. I am anxious to see how much she has improved since our last visit and whether or not they will recommend speech therapy.

For those of you interested in how my mom is doing - she is fantastic! The neurologist released her this week and she will not return to see him until next year. She is now able to drive, swim and wet her head (with her scar). It is truly a miraculous recovery! She is working to re-establish her relationship with my older two children and establish a relationship with Maddie - this has been the hardest for my mom, especially with respect to my older children.

This weekend we are doing something we all love to do: Dance to some good cajun music. This will be Maddie's first experience with a live band and dancing. I hope she loves the cajun music. I know she loves the cajun food and will enjoy having dinner with our extended family. I will post some pictures at a later date.









No comments:

Post a Comment