Monday, January 24, 2011

GOTCHA DAY



Today marks Maddie's 1 year anniversary of her GOTCHA Day. I remember the excitement and the anxiety I felt when we drove to the office in China where we were to meet Maddie for the first time. Getting down and walking into the tiny office with 8 other families - my emotions were bubbling at the surface. The moment we saw her being carried in sleeping by her caregiver - I felt as though I had lost my breath. Although she cried for a while I can remember that first moment later that night where she outstretched her arms for me to hold her.... What an amazing and emotional day this was. That moment changed our lives forever.....




Tonight we had a GOTCHA Day celebration with a GOTCHA Day Cake, a Candle and some delicious chinese food. Maddie was quite excited that the Cake and Candle were for her! Although she does not understand the significance of this day - she one day will. What a history she has and an amazing story that is hers to tell.

This past year has flown by so quickly yet we all feel that Maddie has been with our family forever. I can't remember life without her... We all love her so much!!!!






I am also remembering all of the wonderful families we met during our trip to China that are celebrating their GOTCHA Days today or tomorrow. Happy GOTCHA Day to all of you. Remembering one particular family at this time, hoping that all the good memories fill your days. Praying for your new journey in 2011.








3 comments:

  1. Blessings to the Portie family! So thankful that we had the opportunity to meet you and follow this past year with your family. Maddie is a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a happy day! We have loved following how Maddie has changed this year. She is a special girl!

    I think our group will always feel the sting of losing Daniel.
    We join you in thinking about Jim and Lisa during this time!

    Blessings!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful Gotcha Day celebration:) Maddie is such a sweetie. Thank you so much for your sweet words of Daniel. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Love you all...

    ReplyDelete